I have been meaning to try out an Apple Fritter recipe I found in a junk bin I was cleaning out. I converted it to gluten and dairy free and added my spin to it. The recipe originally called for 1/4 cup of sugar but I think they need to be a bit sweeter before adding the glaze. So I increased the sugar content to a third cup in my version. These fritters would make a perfect indulge breakfast or an evening snack which is when I devoured mine.
Simple Apple Fritters
1 cup gluten free flour blend
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup almond or rice milk
1 cup chopped gala apple
approximately 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
•2 cups powdered sugar
•1 1/2 tablespoons rice milk
1. Combine gluten free flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in small mixing bowl. Stir in milk and egg until just combined. Fold in chopped apple.
2. Heat a medium cast iron skillet or sauce pan with oil on medium heat. Oil is ready when a little dough thrown in floats to the top. Carefully add dough to oil in heaping teaspoons.
3. Drop batter by the tablespoon into the heated oil in. Cook until brown, about 2 minutes, one side at a time. Cook another 1-2 minutes, until both sides are browned.
4. Transfer briefly to paper towels to absorb excess oil, then transfer to a cooling rack.
5. In a small saucepan heat milk and powdered on low heat until combined. Coat fritters one at a time in warmed glaze. Make glaze by stirring Wait approximately 3 minutes for glaze to harden. Best served warm.