I tastespotted these lovely vegan Dark Chocolate Cherry Muffins over on the Minimalist Baker and I had to give them a try.
I adapted the recipe quite a bit and created a new muffin that I have pegged Double Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins.
These muffins were the perfect way to use up the rest of my fresh cherries. These muffins are egg/dairy/ and gluten free.
They make the perfect breakfast with a side of Greek or almond yogurt and the addition of applesauce make them super moist.
I promise you won’t be able to eat just one
Double Chocolate Chip Cherry muffins
1 1/3 cup all purpose gluten free flour blend
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond or rice milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup EnjoyLife chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine gluten free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. In another bowl stir together non-dairy milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Add applesauce and cacao powder
4. Add wet to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
5. Fold in cherries and chocolate chips.
6. Using a standard ice-cream scoop, scoop batter into a greased or paper-lined muffin tin and top with additional chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Let the muffins rest in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve warm.
10. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh – transfer to freezer after a couple days.