Continuing my week long homage to sorghum flour I’m sharing one of the awesome sorghum flour blends contained within The Celiac Cookbook. Since I’m in a sharing mood I also wanted to give you five additional fun facts about the sorghum grain/grass. It really is a fascinating grain and more common than you know. Be thankful on this Friday!
the gluten free chef
5 Fun Facts About Sorghum
1. Sorghum is one of the top cereal crops in the world.
2. Right before it is harvested sorghum is red in color.
3. Some types of sweet sorghum are grown to produce syrup.
4. Africa produces the largest amount of sorghum as it was originally cultivated in Egypt.
5. Sorghum was probably brought to the United States by African slaves, who cultivated it in the Southern states.
Sorghum Flour Blend courtesy of The Celiac Cookbook
7 1/2 cups sorghum flour
11⁄2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch
1. Combine flours in a seal container.
Photo credit: Wisegeek