I tastespotted this Spaghetti Squash w/ Parmesan recipe and knew I had to make my own version. This recipe was my first time cooking with spaghetti squash and it definitely will not be my last. Outside of roasting the squash my meal came together in less than 30 minutes. Surprisingly, it is the perfect low cal/low carb substitute for real pasta. I am in love. Check out my recipe below.
Parmesan Asiago Spaghetti Squash inspired by Raisin & Fig’s Spaghetti Squash w/ Parmesan
1 spaghetti squash, cut in half and roasted
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 small onion, diced,
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup diced green onion
1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons Romano cheese
1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
2 tablespoons cooking wine
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons earth balance
To taste: sea salt, cracked black pepper, onion and garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. With a sharp knife cut in half length wise . Spray inside flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt onion powder and garlic powder.
2. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and place squash cut side down. Cover top with foil and roast squash until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle scoop out seeds and save. Scrape 1/2 squash with a fork into a small bowl to remove flesh in long strands.
4. Coat a medium cast iron skillet with olive oil and add minced garlic, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Sauté over medium heat for about 5- 6 minutes. Add cooking wine, green onions, + 1/4 cup water and continue cooking another 4 minutes or until onions are browned. Season to taste.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add squash strands and earth balance to skillet. Fold in parmesan and asiago cheeses. Remove from heat. Serve hot.