This weekend’s winter freeze kept me cooped up inside all weekend. Fortunately, I love any and every opportunity to spend time inside resting, meditating, recipe developing and of course baking. These delightful donuts were inspired by my love of cranberries, a need use up a few very ripe bananas, and incorporate my A+mazing stove top raspberry jam into a dessert.
But don’t fret; at first glance the long list of ingredients and directions seem a bit overwhelming. But these baked donuts are a breeze to whip up and can be made without the cranberry jam or the glaze. Sometimes simple is best and these donuts are amazing all dressed up or plain with just a dusting of powdered sugar. Light, moist, and delicious. 🙂
Cranberry Banana Glazed Donuts
cranberry Jam (click to see recipe)
Puree about 1/2 cup. Set aside
vegan cream cheese glaze
4 ounces tofutti vegan cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons rice milk, plus more if needed
1. Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth.
2. If glaze is too thick to drizzle, add more rice milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose gluten free flour blend
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup over-ripe banana, mashed (about 1 1/2 small bananas)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon almond or rice yogurt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and spray donut pan with baking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl beat together the egg and sugar until light on medium speed using a hand mixer.
3. In a food processor pulse together the banana, oil, vanilla and yogurt. Fold this mixture into the egg and sugar.
4. In a small bowl sift together the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and flour . Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until well combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan, filling wells 3/4 of the way full. Dollop two to three teaspoons of jam on top donut batter in each donut pan cavity. Using a tooth pick swirl the jam into the doughnut batter.
6. Bake for 12 minutes until donuts are springy to touch. .
7. Remove the donuts from the pan and let them cool. Drizzle donuts with cream cheese glaze.