I do declare after tastespotting this recipe over at Cafe Delites and now having had the pleasure of baking a entire cookie in a cast iron skillet I just may never bake cookies the “normal” way again. I mean the concept is nothing revolutionary but why hadn’t I ever though to do it until now? Basically a giant cookie baked in a cast iron skillet. More please is all I have to say. Do not miss out on my glutenfreeified version of this classic and amazing dessert. My only advice: Try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip & Walnut Skillet Cookie adapted from Cafe Delites
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or vegan margarine, softened at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons apple sauce
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup creamy peanut butter, melted
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Evenly coat cast iron skillet with baking spray
2. In a large bowl combine the butter, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla, and cream on medium with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the egg and beat again until combined.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in melted peanut butter, chocolate chips, and walnuts into the batter until just combined.
4. Using a silicon spatula transfer batter into prepared skillet and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 23 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
P.S.: Even better ala mode