Who doesn’t love Macaroni and Cheese? America’s ultimate comfort food is remixed with a slightly gourmet touch. This version combines fresh mozzarella, parmesan, sour cream, an amazing butter based roux, and last but certainly not least diced country ham. One word. A+mazing.
Creamy Macaroni & Cheese w/ Country Ham
1 pound gluten free macaroni, I use Tinkyada
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup sour cream
2 cups fresh parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups shredded fresh mozzarella
3 cups diced cooked country ham
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. Bring 4 cups water to boil. Add pasta, a pinch of salt and drizzle of olive oil. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside in large stock pan.
3. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and slowly whisk together corn starch. Slowly add in chicken stock then milk. Add in sour cream and pour entire mixture over macaroni. Fold in 1 cup of each cheese and diced ham.
4. Add salt and black pepper.
5. Coat a a 6×9 Pirex dish with baking spray and add 1/2 of pasta mixture top with 1 cup of mozzarella.
6. Add remaining half of macaroni mixture then top with remaining cup of parmesan cheese.
7. Bake on 375 for 25 minutes until bubbly.
8. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Photo credit: Recipes 100