It always seems that the best meals come together on the fly. This quick and easy Spicy Pineapple Fried Rice is no exception and makes for the perfect mid week meal when you are busy or short on time. Certainly healthier than any take out version the beauty of home made fried rice is that you control what goes in. Swamp out brown for jasmine rice or no rice at all. Mixing and matching, substituting or swapping; this is a classic DIY meal you can’t not want to try.
Spicy Pineapple Fried Rice
2 cups brown rice
1 cup diced pineapple
3 stalks scallions, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
2 tablespoons red vinegar
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 eggs, optional
2 cups diced cooked ham, optional
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
olive oil to coat pan
To taste: onion powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder
1. Triple rinse brown rice and prepare according to package instructions. Set aide
2. Coat medium cast iron skillet or wok with olive oil and add minced garlic, scallions, and bell pepper, to pan and brown for 5 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add ham and pineapple and sauté additional 2 minutes. Add red vinegar, red pepper flakes, soy sauce and seasoning to taste.
4. Toss in rice and sauté , slowly adding in pineapple juice.
5. Just before removing from heat crack eggs and add to pan. Mix in eggs until fried and tossed within the rice.
6. Turn off heat cover skillet allow rice to sit covered for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
P.S Preparing your brown rice in advance not only saves prep time but actually makes the fried rice better.
Photo credit: (rice) Food Blogga