I’d been craving a chocolate chip scone so instead of searching for or creating a new one I simply modified this A+mazing Black Pepper Cinnamon Scone recipethat I originally adapted back in 2013. And you know what? This is literally the best scone recipe ever. The combination of chocolate chips and dried cranberries make everything great about this scone recipe even better. I simply swapped the rasins for chocolate chips, baked, and ate. Bon Appétit.
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Black Pepper Cinnamon Scones adapted from Dessert for Two’s Black Pepper Scones with Maple Syrup Glaze
1 cup gf all purpose flour blend
1/4 cup sorghum flour blend
¼ cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 large egg yolk
For the Maple Honey glaze:
⅓ heaping cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 .
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and black pepper. Dice the butter and add it to the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour mixture until it’s evenly distributed. Use large fork, a pastry cutter, or your hands.
3. Next, add ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and the egg yolk in a small bowl and beat together. Pour this on the flour mixture and work wet mixture with flour mixture using a large fork until dough forms. Don’t over mix, but incorporate things well. Fold in cinnamon, golden raisins, and cranberries.
4. Scoop roughly half of the dough out. Mound it on a cookie sheet in a rough circle shape. Repeat with the remaining dough. Brush the scones with the remaining 1 tablespoon of heavy cream.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and they lightly brown on the edges.
6. While the scones bake, whisk together the maple honey glaze ingredients. Pour on the scones when they come out of the oven. Serve warm.