My donut obsession continues with this repost (and update) of these A+mazing Baked Chocolate Chai Donuts. I originally tastespotted these treats over on Desserts for Two and have since revamped them gluten & dairy free.
Baked Chocolate Chai Donuts
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
1 large egg, beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup + 1tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons almond milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 375, and grease a donut pan with a capacity of 6.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and spices. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, applesauce, milk and oil. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and stir just until no streaks of flour remain. The batter will be thick.
3. Using a piping bag, pipe the batter into each mold
4. Bake for 8 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.
5. Immediately dump the pan onto a cooling rack, and let the donuts cool while making the frosting.