I’ve made it no secret that up until recently beets were not one of my favorite vegetables. I had a hate hate relationship with them until I opened up my mind and decided two summers ago to force myself happy with beets. My open mindedness birthed a series of recipe development sessions that lead me to my very first mainstream magazine feature in the fall issue of Chickpea Vegan Quarterly. The recipes that I developed for the article are close to my heart because they represent personal and professional growth that started two years ago.
Learning to love beets gave way to a few amazing recipes that are now featured for the entire world to share. Of course, I’m elated to finally be able to share the article and recipes with you right here on the blog. But before I do, I wanted to share the recipes that got left on the cutting room floor. First up is my Roasted Beet & Strawberry Coconut Sorbet. This beet and coconut sorbet is not only visually stunning with it’s vibrant color, but it’s the perfect way to pay homage to summer while embracing the vibrancy of fall. Roasting the strawberries add incredible depth for a sweet dichtomy of savory and sweet.
Roasted Beet & Strawberry Coconut Sorbet
Strawberry beet puree
1 cup (1 small beet root) roasted beets, diced (1 inch pieces)
2 lbs of fresh strawberries, washed and stems removed
1/3 cup coconut water
4 tablespoon light agave syrup
To roast beets & strawberries:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and peel one small beet root. Cut the beet root in half, then into quarters and continue cutting until you have one inch sized pieces.
- Measure out 1 ½ cups of whole strawberries. Then slice measured whole berries in half. Set aside.
- Transfer beets and to a parchment lined baking pan. Spread into an even single layer and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet, add sliced strawberries, and continue roasting beets and strawberries together for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to a bowl and place in fridge to chill completely
When beets and strawberries are chilled:
- Measure out ½ cup of the roasted berries, and add them to a blender along with, coconut water and agave.
- Blend until just pureed. Set aside.
- Be sure to reserve another ½ cup of roasted berries for the sorbet base.
1 cup full fat coconut milk, cold straight from fridge
1 cup whole strawberries, washed and stemmed
½ cup roasted strawberries,
2/3 cups dry mori-nu vegan vanilla pudding
beet berry puree
For sorbet base:
- Measure out one cup of whole berries, then slice in half.
- To the basin of an ice cream maker or electric churn add:
- Coconut milk, sliced strawberries, ½ cup roasted strawberries, beet & berry pure, and dry pudding mix.
- Allow to churn until just set. Transfer to a freezer safe bowl.
Best eaten within a few days. Can be frozen for up to two weeks.
The photos are stunning and the recipe is great! What a fantastic sorbet flavour! A must try! 🙂
Thank you so much! It really is an amazing recipe!