I tastespotted and created this A+mazing and super simple Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip & Walnut Skillet Cookie recipe in April 2015 and it is by far my most used cookie recipe ever! It simply does not get any better than one bowl and a cast iron skillet. Instead of a dozen little cookies you get one giant chocolate chip cookie. The peanut butter and walnuts take this recipe from good to GREAT.
Our Twelve Days of Gluten Free Cookies countdown continues.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip & Walnut Skillet Cookie
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or vegan margarine, softened at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons apple sauce
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup creamy peanut butter, melted
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Evenly coat cast iron skillet with baking spray
2. In a large bowl combine the butter, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla, and cream on medium with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the egg and beat again until combined.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in melted peanut butter, chocolate chips, and walnuts into the batter until just combined.
4. Using a silicon spatula transfer batter into prepared skillet and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 23 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.