Homemade fried rice is one of my favorite dishes. In fact, this Spicy Zucchini & Red Cabbage Fried Rice is the fourth fried rice recipe found here on the blog. It’s super simple and super healthy which makes a great alternative to the take out staple. Get into the recipe below.
Spicy Zucchini Red Cabbage Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cup shredded read cabbage
3 stalks scallions, diced
- 1 small white onion, sliced thin
1 large zucchini, diced
3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
2 tablespoons red vinegar
2 eggs, optional
1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
olive oil to coat pan
To taste: onion powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder
1. Triple rinse brown rice and prepare according to package instructions. Set aide
2. Coat medium cast iron skillet or wok with olive oil and add minced garlic, scallions, and cabbage, to pan and brown for 5 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add zucchini and sauté additional 2 minutes. Add red vinegar, red pepper flakes, soy sauce and seasoning to taste.
4. Toss in rice and sauté , slowly adding in vegetable stock
5. Just before removing from heat crack eggs and add to pan. Mix in eggs until fried and tossed within the rice.
6. Turn off heat cover skillet allow rice to sit covered for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
P.S Preparing your brown rice in advance not only saves prep time but actually makes the fried rice better.
Photo credit: Farm Fresh Feasts