Homemade Coconut Oil Baby Lotion
Coconut oil is nothing, but amazing! Although it is just one ingredient, the health benefits it provides are too many to count. Seriously! Even babies can enjoy its perks!
Packed with Lauric acid that is also present in breast milk, coconut oil is undeniably safe for baby use. Apply it to dry and irritated skin and see the difference. You’ll be amazed, for sure. However, before you even do that, consider making this homemade coconut oil baby lotion.
Don’t worry. It is very easy to do.
What You Need:
- ½ cup Coco Treasure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Aloe vera gel
- a few drops of your preferred essential oil
What to Do:
- In a medium pan, melt the coconut oil in low heat. Set aside.
- Take a blender, if not a food processor. Along with the aloe vera gel and the essential oil of your choice, put the melted coconut oil and blend.
- Do it for a couple of minutes until a creamy texture is obtained.
- Scrape the mixture from the blender and store in a container with a tight fitting lid.
- Store at room temperature or keep refrigerated when not in use.
Bonus Tip. The key to its keep its creamy consistency is to refrigerate it. That way, coconut oil does not melt and affect the lotion’s texture.
How to Use:
Like store bought baby lotions, apply this coconut oil baby lotion to your baby every after bathing or as needed.
Recommended Essential Oils to Use
There are many different essential oils you can use for babies. Here are some that we recommend:
- Lavender Essential Oil – Known for its antibacterial properties, lavender essential oil can be used to calm and soothe a baby’s delicate skin.
- Chamomile Essential Oil – Chamomile essential oil works well for babies with constipation. And like lavender, it also has soothing and calming properties.
- Citrus Essential Oil – Due to its mood-enhancing ability, citrus essential oil is widely used by parents to calm overactive kids.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Peppermint essential oil has properties that help alleviate fever and colds. But when using this, it is advised to dilute it first.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – Tea tree essential oil can be used to repel bugs and insects. It can also be used for treating cuts and burns.
The next time you run out of baby lotion, you don’t need to run to the store. Instead, go to the kitchen and whip up your own coconut oil baby lotion.
Catherine finds joy in the simplest things. Her passion for traveling is equally matched by her love for animals. Whenever she’s in the mood for experimenting, you can see her in the kitchen trying out new recipes, most likely desserts. She shares her expertise about nutritious and organic foods like coconut oil on her blog Free Coconut Recipes. Find out what she’s up to by following her social media accounts, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.