One of the biggest challenges for me trying to reduce my gluten and wheat intake has been finding satisfying replacement for bread. Before switching my diet, I’d long been a bread obsessive and my greatest fear had always been to find strong substitutes so I could still enjoy my greatest love: Sandwiches. I had just about managed to create gluten-free versions of pizza, flatbreads and pasta, but a good sandwich recipe had eluded me for a while.
Enter today’s recipe.
This gluten-free vegetarian sandwich uses two hearty portobello mushrooms instead of bread to house beautiful fresh mozzarella and tomato pesto.While the portobello mushrooms might strike some people as a bit bland, their juices combine brilliantly with the mozarella. The two together make for a brilliant pile of melted cheese, packed full of flavors. Everything blends together perfectly.
Let’s get into it!
Grilled Portobello Caprese Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 large portobello mushrooms
2 tbsp dried tomato pesto
1 tsp crushed garlic
½ cup mozzarella cheese, sliced
½ roma tomato, sliced
4-6 large fresh basil leaves
¼ cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
½ cup roasted bell peppers
olive oil cooking spray (for the grill)
- Start by heating your grill on a medium heat.
- Use a spoon to clean out the insides of the mushroom, making sure not to break the skins.
- Split the pesto and crushed garlic between each mushroom, spreading as evenly as possible on the inside.
- Split the mozarella between each mushroom – don’t be afraid to be generous – and then place the sliced tomatoes and basil on one of the mushrooms. Top the other mushroom with the pepperoncini and bell peppers.
- Carefully put the two sides together and then place the sandwich on the grill.
Cook for 10 minutes on one side and then 10 minutes on the other. Remove from the grill and enjoy!
About the author:
Ben is a former semi-pro cyclist and big eater. Now he is just a big eater. He writes about food and drink for lazy chefs at The Online Grill.