I do declare that my quest to develop an A+mazing veggie burger is finally over. This Pan-Fried Tofu Burger is filling, flavorful, and super delicious. It is chock full of fresh whole veggies and topped with this wonderful Peach Guacamole. I topped my burger with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and bean sprouts and served it with a side of Alexia Seasoned Potato Puffs. I have always liked to cut my burgers/sandwiches in half when I eat them but this was the first burger that dived into with both hands and devoured whole.
Pan-fried Tofu Burgers with Peach Guacamole served on an Udi’s Gluten free Hamburger Bun
1 lb / 16 oz firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and sliced
2 whole eggs
1⁄2 cup potato (or corn) starch
1/2 corn meal + 1/4 extra
1 small red pepper seeded and finely chopped
1 small white onion, diced
3 tbsp. garlic
1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1/4 cup green onion
2 stalks of celery
2 slices gluten free bread, toasted and cubed
or 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1⁄4 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 tbsp. dijon mustard, for hamburger buns
1/2 bean sprouts to top the burger
4 Udi’s hamburger buns
Sauteed mushrooms and onions
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 sliced white mushrooms
1. Place sunflower seeds, potato starch,1/2 cup cornmeal, and bread crumbs in the bowl of a food processor. Give a few pulses until they’re well ground.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Slowly pulse until the mixture forms a thick paste. You don’t want to over process the tofu mixture.
3. Coat hands with remaining 1/4 cup of cornmeal and divide tofu mixture into 4 balls pressing into 1 inch thick patties with your hands.
4. In a lightly greased cast iron skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 cup of water. Place patties 2 at a time in skillet, cover and steam patties for 5 minutes on each side.
5. Add enough olive oil to coat skillet and pan fry patties on each side until deeply browned, about 4 minutes on each side.
6. You want to make sure the middle of the patties cook through. If the pan is too hot you’ll burn the outsides before the middle cooks.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for the remaining patties. Set patties inside a warmed oven.
8. Add a drizzle more of olive oil and sauté mushrooms and onions until browned for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
8. Toast hamburger buns, spread inside with Dijon mustard lay bed of bean spouts add tofu burger and top with sautéed mushrooms and onions.