Now I know that sorghum’s earthy taste and texture are the properties that make it a fine choice in gluten free baking. Even though I’ve baked with sorghum flour before I wasn’t fully aware of its awesomeness until now. Throughout this week I will be posting more recipes, photos, and facts about sorghum flour. As a start peep my five facts about sorghum below and be sure to purchase The Celiac Cookbook if you haven’t already.
the gluten free chef
5 Facts about Sorghum
- Sorghum is naturally gluten-free.
- Sorghum is used to produce biofuel and alcohol.
- Sorghum grass is grown in the tropical regions of each continent.
- One quarter cup of sorghum flour has about 3 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.
- Sorghum is a good source of iron and magnesium.
Photo credit: Mississippi State University and Wisegeek