Balsamic vinegar, honey, fresh orange zest. Mainstays in my pantry and when blended together make a wonderful sauce that’s perfect for grilling, sauteing and in stir frys. The latter is what I cooked up a few nights ago when I wondered WFDT? (whats’ for dinner tonight). This delightful tofu stir fry was flavorful and quick to assemble. What’s great about the recipe is that any protein can be swapped for your favorites.: chicken, beef, pork, or even nuts if you fancy. Look at that A+mazing and highly adaptable. My kind of recipe.
Honey Balsamic Tofu Stir fry
1 package extra firm tofu, drained cut into thick strips
1 bag frozen stir fry vegetable blend
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup honey + 2 tablespoons
¼ teaspoon pure orange extract
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
juice from ½ large orange + 1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil, to coat pan
seasonings can be adjusted – + according to your specific taste
1. In a bowl combine vinegar, honey, orange extract, orange juice, nutmeg, salt, and zest. Set aside
2. In a large cast iron skillet heat olive oil, minced garlic, onions and tofu strips over medium heat. Sauté until just browned. Transfer tofu mixture to a bowl and set aside.
1. Heat should now be high enough to sauté vegetables. Add bag of veggies and continue to sauté for about 5-6 minutes on high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and allow vegetables to cook down for 2 more minutes. Add garlic powder and lemon pepper.
3. Add tofu mixture, vinegar mixture and cook another 4 minutes sauteing constantly.
4. Remove from heat and serve immediately.