I stumbled upon this Cranberry Cream Cheese Danish recipe over at La Casa de Sweets and I do believe that it is my best recipe find of 2013. The gluten free pastry alone is to die for but when you fill it with sweet creme cheese filling and my awesome Stovetop Cranberry Jam you have a pastry to end all other pastries. Seriously, this was my first attempt at danish and it is simply out of this world. I will never look for nor use another pastry recipe again. Click the link below to try it out for yourself. I promise you will not be disappointed.
One of the food blogs that I frequent on a daily basis is Alaska from Scratch. When I saw her Lemon Pudding Cake, I knew I had to try it. This cake is simple to assemble and bake. I made a few adaptations which I have listed below. Click the hyperlink below or photo to the left to view the original recipe.
Alaska from Scratch Lemon Pudding Cake adaptations
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- used my gluten free All purpose flour blend in place of wheat flour
- I baked my cake in a convection oven with the temperature lowered to 300 degrees for 40 minutes and did not do the water bath.
I made this A+mazing Lemon Sorbet this past weekend. I found the simple recipe over at Allrecipes.com and made a few adaptations. This sorbet is of course dairy and gluten free. The egg whites give it a creamy and fluffy texture and the addition of the grated peel enhance the lemony flavor. This is a low cal and simple dessert to polish off any summer meal. The egg whites are optional.
1 lemon’s peel, finely diced using a food processor
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup fresh lemon juice, juice about 2 lemons
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 egg whites
- In a saucepan, stir together the diced lemon peel, 1 cup of water and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- In a pitcher or bowl, stir together the lemon syrup with peel and lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form about 2 minutes. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Garnish each serving with a twist of lemon peel.
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cup shredded organic coconut, lightly toasted
1. Preheat oven to 325 ‘F Line cookie sheet with parchment or non-stick cooking spray. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in large bowl with electric mixture until soft peaks form.
2. Beat in the sugar 1 tablespoon at time, until the whites are smooth and shiny. Fold in coconut and vanilla
3. Drop by rounded tablespoons on prepared cookie sheet about 4 inches apart. Bake 18-22 minutes until light and golden. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, transfer cookies to a wire rack.