This post originally happened last summer and I cannot wait to have it againthis upcoming weekend as I have strawberry and raspberry picking on my agenda. I love the blogger life and having a digital recipe box to pull from for just about any occasion.
Lemon Sorbet (REPOST)
In keeping with the spirit of any day is a good day for ice cream (or in this case sorbet) I’m re-sharing my A+mazing Lemon Sorbet recipe from three years ago.
I originally found this recipe over at Allrecipes.com and made a few modifications. This sorbet is of course dairy and gluten free. The egg whites give it a creamy and fluffy texture and the addition of the grated peel enhance the lemony flavor. This is a low cal and simple dessert to polish off any summer meal. The egg whites are optional.
(Sure sure to come back tomorrow to learn what makes sorbet sorbet and not ice cream).
- 1 lemon’s peel, finely diced using a food processor
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, juice about 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 egg whites
- In a saucepan, stir together the diced lemon peel, 1 cup of water and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- In a pitcher or bowl, stir together the lemon syrup with peel and lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form about 2 minutes. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
From Scratch Pineapple Sherbert
I planned to share this Pineapple Sherbert recipe on Monday since I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment to your Memorial Day feasts. That clearly fell through. Fortunately, when it comes to frozen treats and ice cream any day is a good day to make a batch of homemade ice cream. I tastespotted this recipe over at Honest Cooking, pinned it immediately and prepared it for my 540WMain Open House. It was a huge hit and I couldn’t not share it with all if you.
This is more like a super rich sherbet than ice cream . It does contain dairy but I am working on a dairy free and refined sugar free version that I will share soon. In the meantime check out this super simple recipe below.
From Scratch Pineapple Sherbert recipe and photo courtesy of Honest Cooking
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In a bowl add heavy cream, half and half and milk and rest of sugar and mix well. Make sure to dissolve the sugar completely. Place in freezer.
- In medium sauce bowl cook pineapple with sugar in a medium flame for 30 minute s until pineapple and sugar begin to caramelize.
- Once it is cool enough to touch, puree pineapple.
- Add cream/ half and half- milk mixture to pineapple puree and pulse until combined.
- Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze overnight
P.S. Ever wonder what’s the difference between sherbert and ice cream? Come back on Friday to find out 🙂
Recipes for free: Apricot melon fruit salad
This simple fruit salad is both delicious and easy to put together. I love melons and the pairing with ripe apricot is summer in a bowl.
Apricot Melon Fruit Salad
4 cups watermelon, cubed
6 apricots, washed pitted and chopped
1 cantaloupe, cubed
1/4 cup key lime juice
2 TSP raw cane sugar + 2 sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
1. Add fruit to a medium bowl toss with lime juice and sugar. Serve chilled and garnish with fresh mint.