Rotisserie Chicken, Lentil & Vegetable Soup
1 Rotisserie Chicken
1 and 1/2 cup of organic green lentils (Shiloh Farms)
4 stalks of celery
4 medium carrots
1 white onion
2 green onions
1 cup vegetable broth
salt pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils, put into crock pot add water to cover about 1 and a half hours
- Meanwhile, cut chicken off of bone. Set aside in small bowl. In a large pot add chicken bones and skin, cover with 4-5 cups of water and bring to boil then simmer on medium heat.
- Peel, wash and chop celery, onions, carrots. Set aside (Note: celery, carrots, and onion are staples in my crisper. Peeling and chopping are fairly easy for me, however for some chronic pain sufferers this step is to much. It may be easier for you to buy your veggies pre-cut, making this recipe even quicker)
- Using a strainer, drain chicken stock from the bone into a large bowl. Discard boiled chicken carcass and skin. Drain water from lentils then add the lentils back into crock pot.
- Pour the chicken stock into crock pot, add chopped veggies, cup of vegetable broth, salt pepper and other desired seasonings to taste.
- Simmer in crockpot on high heat for about 3-4 hours, or until veggies are tender. The last 30 minutes of cooking add chopped chicken meat to soup