Suffering Succotash. I made this delicious Succotash of Corn, Apple & Cabbage on the fly so we wouldn’t lose the fresh corn that was laying in the fridge. I added curry for a little heat, green apple for a hint of tart, and cabbage, well because I love cabbage. It was the perfect amalgamation of flavors. I served mine with Crispy Tofu and a quick Tomato Salad. I’ll definitely be trying this one again.
Succotash of Corn, Apple & Cabbage
3 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob
1/2 head of cabbage, washed and cut into medium size pieces
1 green apple, washed, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup match stick carrots
1/4 cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoons
3 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
To taste: additional brown sugar, salt, and cracked black pepper
1. In a large cast iron skillet heat olive oil, minced garlic, curry powder, and vinegar. Add corn and minced garlic and coat slowly raising your heat.
2. Heat should now be high enough to saute vegetables. Add cabbage, apple and continue to saute for about 5-6 minutes on high heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add carrot and allow vegetables to cook down. Add onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Cook vegetables another 10 minutes sauteing constantly and adding additional water and olive oil so as to not allow succotash burn.
4. Reduce heat to low; another 2 minutes and add additional seasonings to taste.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately.