I originally shared this simple and easy to assemble recipe in June 2013. With spring’s arrival imminent I thought it was high time to share it again. This cake is more like a pudding/custard in texture and bursting with a full and robust lemon flavor that harken spring. Perfect for sharing. Get into the recipe below.
Lemon Pudding Cake recipe adapted from Alaska From Scratch
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup AP gluten free flour blend
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup whole milk
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat convection oven to 350. Lightly grease a shallow 1.5 quart oblong casserole dish. Set the prepared casserole dish inside a rectangular roasting pan (I used a 13×9 pan).
2. Set a kettle full of water to boil on the stove over high heat for the water bath. When ready, turn off heat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the flour and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Set aside. In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and melted butter. Whisk in the milk, zest and lemon juice, and lemon extract. While whisking, add the flour/sugar mixture to the liquids and whisk until smooth.
4. In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the top of the batter with sugar.
5. To the roasting pan, pour just enough of the hot water from the kettle to go halfway up the outside of the casserole baking dish. Bake until the top of the cake is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm or chill and serve cold.
To the roasting pan, pour just enough of the hot water from the kettle to go halfway up the outside of the casserole baking dish. Bake until the top of the cake is golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm or chill and serve cold.
Note: I baked my cake in a convection oven with the temperature lowered to 300 degrees for 40 minutes and did not do the water bath.