In keeping with the spirit of any day is a good day for ice cream (or in this case sorbet) I’m re-sharing my A+mazing Lemon Sorbet recipe from three years ago.
I originally found this recipe over at Allrecipes.com and made a few modifications. This sorbet is of course dairy and gluten free. The egg whites give it a creamy and fluffy texture and the addition of the grated peel enhance the lemony flavor. This is a low cal and simple dessert to polish off any summer meal. The egg whites are optional.
(Sure sure to come back tomorrow to learn what makes sorbet sorbet and not ice cream).
- 1 lemon’s peel, finely diced using a food processor
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, juice about 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 egg whites
- In a saucepan, stir together the diced lemon peel, 1 cup of water and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- In a pitcher or bowl, stir together the lemon syrup with peel and lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form about 2 minutes. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions